Monday, May 25, 2015

This Week

My week was a frugal up and down.  We had started paying someone to do our weed whacking once a month $40 since my husband's health is not good and I have not had the arm strength to pull the weed whacker string.  We bought a new one yesterday that is batter operated and bought a extra battery about $179.00.  I can use it so we will save about $120.00 this year still in the hole a little bit but will pay off over the next 2 years.  We only had fast food once this week pizza on Friday night.  We did go out to lunch while on a road trip Saturday but since we can not go on vacation due to my work schedule, having 3 dogs and not wanting to board them this was a vacation day for us.  I made a very big lasagna today from scratch and we will have 4 more complete meals with the leftovers.  I found at Dollar Tree Aluminum trays with the lids (3 in a pack) for $1.00.  I put the lasagna in those, labeled and froze.  I will reuse them again.  My cherry tree in the front yard I had given up hope on it ever bearing cherries.. I found 3 cherries on it yesterday so looks like it's finally going to start producing.  I have cherries on my tree in the back yard it's a dwarf bing cherry they are green right now hoping I can get some before the birds do.  While at Dollar Tree.. I bought stems of silk flowers, one of those plastic cone things that you put the flowers down in the ground with and found these glass ceramic angels that are knick knacks.  I put the angels up against those cones and saw that they fit snugly against them.  Brought them home, hot glued them to the cones and made beautiful flower arrangements for the cemetery.  Cost for each about $6.00 versus at least $15 to $20 for ones already made into arrangements.  I found shelf stable milk both soy and regular $1 a box.. quart sized that I added to my pantry.  They have a year shelf life.  I keep powdered milk but I am lactose intolerant so the soy will work well for me.  I also found Peach Nectar in boxed containers $1 each which I will use to make Peach Jelly.  Peaches here are very very expensive and usually not very good quality so this is a cheaper alternative.  Box life year.  I also found 28 oz. cans of pears for $1.00 we eat a lot of canned fruit when we can't get fresh cheaper so these are a good pantry staple too.  We have a 70 year wedding anniversary to go to next Sunday.. was able to find dress clothes here at home to wear instead of having to buy them.  I kept all my work clothes from when I worked in a office years ago and some still fit.  Dh was fretting about a necktie found one he had here, he doesn't know how to do the knot so will go to youtube to figure it out.  In the past we always had to have a sales rep. in the store make them up for us or before that his Dad.  He wears a necktie once every cpl.years or so.  I bought another gc this week, this one a Kroger card and got dbl. points for it.  This goes in our emergency supply box for hard times.. they are good at least a year.  I also had coupons $3 off on Bic Razors.  They were $5.29 at Krogers so I got them for $2.29 each pack, bought 4 so we should be good for razors for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment