Monday, July 20, 2015

Peach and Plum Jam and Jelly Day

Today I am making jams and jellies.  Peaches and Plums are on sale thru Thursday at Krogers 89 cents a lb. So I bought 17 lbs. Total.  I got 12 pints of jam out of that plus I am now making a depression era jelly .. Peach Jelly made from the skins of the peaches.  My elderly neighbor has made it for years and she shared her recipe with me today.  I made a mistake with my plum jam and preblanched it last night then read the recipe said to cut the pit, leave the skins on and cook..ooops.  I had saved the skins thinking I might make jelly from those skins too so I just added the skins back in, it was a icky looking color so I added a few drops of red food coloring.  I normally don’t do that but they didn’t look visually appealing.  Hoping the peach jelly is a good color if not may add a drop or two of orange food coloring to that batch as well.

Frugal focus is I am making all of it in half pints instead of jelly jars.. Jelly jars will now be reserved for gift giving and I will stock up more on half pints.  Using half pints saves on buying lids.  We have been going through 2 jelly jars a week so it’s not frugal to keep using those versus half pint jars.

Just got done with the peach jelly it is looking more like juice than jelly.. will have to come up with a use for it if it doesn't set up.

Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment